In most museums, you only see the best art, the masterpieces. You see the work of masters that excelled even in their own time and knew exactly how to depict people, buildings, landscapes and animals. But sometimes you see a painting and think to yourself: Has this painter ever even seen a dog before? This post is about all awkward/weird/funny animals I came across on my last few trips.
- This poor lion who is grabbed by the manes and looks like he’s screaming (seen in the San Giovanni a Carbonara in Naples).
2. This freaked out horse (seen in the Villa Farnesina in Rome).
3. This creature trying to chase away pigeons that keep pooping on his fountain (seen on the Piazza Santissima Annunziata in Florence).
4. Speaking of pigeons, this lion doesn’t like them very much either and wants someone to chase them away already. Look at the fear in the poor lion’s eyes (seen in the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence).
5. I think this is supposed to be a dog? Has this painter ever seen a dog? (seen in the Capodimonte in Naples)
6. This cow that’s appearantly having a great time (seen in the Musei Capitolini in Rome)
7. This cat who was captured in its least fabulous and gracious pose (seen at the Villa Medici in Rome)
8. This poor fish who has become a victim of abstract art (seen at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia in Madrid).
9. I think this was supposed to look like a super scary lion eating a person, but it looks more awkward than scary (seen at the church of San Rufino in Assisi)
10. This horse captured from the wrong angle (seen at the Museo archeologico Nazionale in Naples)
11. And finally, this horse from the same mosaïc, who seems to be hitting on someone. “Hey, do you come here often?”